Q & A With Artist Carla Byrd



Who or what have been your influences?

Growing up, my dad was an artist, so his paintings, mainly abstract, could almost always be found on our walls.. even when looking at old photographs, there they are again in the background. This was probably my earliest art influence.

Five words to describe you would be?

People that know me say I'm strong. I could probably be considered a bit radical. I'm a dreamer, I dream at night and during the day. If I don't have my dreams I don't have anything. I'm very sensitive, so its not much that I don't take in from my surroundings and from other people in general. I consider myself to be more of an introvert than an extrovert. Although, I enjoy being around others, I truly value my time alone with just my thoughts.

Last book read?

I'm a huge book person, so I keep a backlog of books to read, I just read Dumbing Us Down, by John Taylor Gatto



Last movie seen?

I've never been a big movie person, so when I see movies they're usually far and few between, or else I'm very late, like three years after it came out! There's still lots of movies that I have never seen. People look at me in shock when they find out I have never seen "such & such". Though, I did go see Precious. I was surprisingly impressed from an artist stand point.


Favorite current song or what you've been listening to lately?

Lately I have been listening to my teen daughter's ipod. She's got everything on there from Lil Wayne to Flobots to The Ting Tings to old school Minnie Riperton. The song I'm really feeling the most right now is Epiphany by Chrisette Michele. I guess it doesn't help that I just have a thing for epiphanies period right now.



Your inspiration?

My inspiration can come from almost anywhere. I see art in most things. I saw a pregnant woman on a friend's stained ceiling once. And sometimes images just pop in my head and I think about how I need to get it on canvas before its gone. But the crazy thing is, I can't recall losing an image. I still have images fresh in my mind from like two or three years ago. Its like having a backlog of paintings waiting to happen.

How, if at all, does your work engage social history or commentary? Do you think about making a "statement"?

It has been through my art that I learned of the positive scales that I often operate on and I have come to embrace that. I always want my work to make a positive statement, without that I wouldn't be being true to myself. The aim is to counter-balance negativity.



Do you have a favorite scripture, quote or motto, piece of advice you received and live by?

You are exactly where you are supposed to be in life at any given moment. I live by this quote, it helps me relax some when I have my bouts of impatience... knowing its bigger than me.

What would you tell your 12 year old self?

I would tell the twelve year old me to "relax, things will be better than good, you have everything you need already within you". But in reality, the twelve year old me already knew that, on a sub-conscious level.



You can see more of my art and stay up to date on events at: www.carlabjupiter.com